Skip to main content
I believe that every mistake holds a lesson.

My most recent quilting mistake was buying too little backing fabric for my fun lighthouse quilt. The blocks are made by reverse appliqueing lighthouse pictures cut from an old sweatshirt.

I had my quilt with
me to show my friend who owns the local quilt shop. (I had borrowed her markers to color the lighthouses.) Glenna happened to have some nice fabric on sale that coordinated with my quilt top. On the spur of the moment, I decided to buy it as backing fabric for the lighthouse quilt.

The shop was busy so we w
here multi-tasking and visiting. We quickly measured the quilt and guesstimated the backing fabric requirements.

Later that evening I was preparing to pin the quilt and there wasn't enough backing fabric!

I turned to MyWebQuilter.com - quickly entered a 9 inch block size, 4 rows, 5 columns,
two borders and their widths...within 2 minutes MyWebQuilter told me I needed 2 and 1/2 yards for the backing.







I had only purchased 2 yards!

Proves that it is hard to do math correctly when you are visiting, looking at pretty fabrics, and checking out new button quilt patterns. It also shows how MyWebQuilter.com can help you determine backing and binding fabric requirements for any quilt - even if it i
sn't a pieced block.

Next time, instead of trying to do the math, I will just use MyWebQuilter.com from Glenna's computer to figure out how much fabric I need.

Quilt Shop Owners - Why don't you have a computer available so instead of reaching for your calculator to
estimate the backing and binding fabric requirements for your customer's quilts - use MyWebQuilter.com to get a quick and accurate estimate!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quilt Border Calculator

There are times when you are making a quilt when you need to add borders to increase the size of the quilt.  You may be trying to get the quilt to a specific size.  You may be limited by how much fabric you have. The MyWebQuilter.com Quilt Border Calculator  is free and can help you decide what size borders to add to your quilt. Enter the size of your current quilt and some border sizes you are considering.  Click calculate to get quilt dimensions and fabric requirements.  Change the border sizes and recalculate as often as you want. 

New Quilt Sash Calculator

I added a new calculator to MyWebQuilter.com to quickly calculate quilt sash fabric requirements.  Just enter the number of columns, rows, block size and sash width.  Additional options include calculations in inches or CM and including a border the same size as the sash.  Click on Calculate to get your sash fabric requirements, quilt dimensions and instructions.  All the MyWebQuilter calculators are easy to use on your mobile phone!

One Block Quilt Designer

Use the #MyWebQuilter Free One Block Quilt Designer to twist and turn, rearrange, and recolor quilt blocks.  Get an automatic pattern for your creation with one click! Here are a few options using the BowTie quilt block.